Hello .. My name is Sophie Hello .. My name is Maxxie

PETLVR.com - [THE BLOG]

A Website For All Earthlings, Who Love Animals
| Home | Top | About | Authors | Archives | Affiliates | Newsletter | Links | Tag-Board | Site Feed | Utilities | News Feeds | The Cutest Pet! | Daily Cartoon | PetLvr Polls |

Thursday, June 23, 2005

 

Dog Therapy and Training.






More Golden Moments: It is a very beautiful, perfect morning here. The sun
is already out, the sky is an unusual clear blue and there is a breeze. It is a
perfect day to take my two dogs, Nikki and Benny for a walk in the park. Now, to
tell you a little about my two dogs, they are friends with all the neighborhood
children; as is my third dog Dukie, who is blind. I know exactly when it is 4:00
p.m., and when school is out. Why? Because I hear loud shouts at my gate: NIKKI,
DUKIE, BENNY! And the shouts keep coming till the dogs show up at the gate. And
of course, none of the kids know my name, nope, just my dogs names.


So, back to the walk in the park this morning, what do I hear? NIKKI,
BENNY! The kids were having an outing in the park, and of course recognized
Nikki and Benny. My point being? It is amazing how many conversations I have
with the kids, because of the dogs. The kids are great conversationalists with
Nikki and Benny around. Its amazing what wonderful stories I hear. And when I
talk to them about dogs, about how to care for dogs, about how to behave around
dogs, they are always open to listen to me.

Except one winter when the kids were not so happy with my Golden Retriever.
My Katie Bear, she is not with me anymore, got loose. And, full speed ahead, she
ran down the street, into the front yard of a home day care. There she spotted a
snowman, grabbed the carrot nose, and ran back home with it. Well, the little
ones were not impressed, and cried and cried because my Katie stole their
snowmans nose. Ah, those golden moments.

That very same Katie, while we were visiting the seniors, very quietly
stuck her head into one seniors purse, and stole a muffin. That senior was not
impressed either. Goldens indeed can be thieves.

But, they are great visitors to those who are lonely, sad; maybe those who
need company, but do not want to talk with a person. So many wonderful stories
and events come about when sharing your dog.

Check into dog therapy. It is a very worthwhile cause. And, on another
note, as always, I am a great promoter of dog training. It is so important for
your own enjoyment, for the safety of your dog and for the safety of those who
would like to spend time with your dog. I never tire of teaching this. And
remember, for dog therapy, your dog does not need obedience training, your dog
just needs to be obedient, courteous, and friendly, and safe. Working dogs
require good premium dog food and nutrition. Make it a habit to study what is
available for your pets.

Let me end with a rather sad, but nevertheless very meaningful example. (I
still cry when I tell this story).

I listen to a radio station that once a year has a big blitz to collect
money for the Sick Childrens Hospital. This year the radio station interviewed a
lady with her therapy dog. This dog visits in the hospital. And one day one
young child, about 5 years old was dying. That child requested in her last
moments to have her therapy dog by her side. And of course, the dog did come,
after cutting through some red tape to be allowed in the room. Therapy dogs make
a difference; and you can let it happen too. "Its probably the most rewarding
volunteer thing I can do."

There are sample evaluations available on most dog therapy institution
websites. Also, you can prepare and train the dog yourself. Your dog does not
require any special training certificate. Posted by Ruth

Posted by Ruth

http://www.mimfreedom.com/dogtherapy.htm


http://www.happypetstop.com/




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Please Note: That was NOT the last post in [The Blog] ...
Please review the ARCHIVE Section at the top on the left side.

| Home | Top | About | Authors | Archives | Affiliates | Newsletter | Links | Tag-Board | Site Feed | Utilities | News Feeds | The Cutest Pet! | Daily Cartoon | PetLvr Polls |



* Comments Welcome *



P E T L V R.com
EMAIL: info@PetLvr.com
TOLL-FREE FAX LINE: 1-(800)-613-2087
WINNIPEG, MANITOBA CANADA

JUMP TO THE PAPILLONLVR's DOG'S WEBSITE
PapillonLvr.com - pronounced: pap-e-yawn-love-er-dot-com


PETLVR WAR!




|
Top |